Cycling in schools
Cycling is brilliant for your kids – it helps them get the recommended 60 minutes of physical activity per day, which one third of children don’t currently achieve. And, once you’ve invested in bikes and some basic kit, it costs very little but provides so many benefits:
- Many teachers report that kids who walk and cycle to school are more alert and ready to learn than those who arrive by car;
- It’s fantastic fun and, for many kids, can feel much more exciting than travelling by car;
- cycling can help kids get to know their local area and feel part of it;
- Children learn manual skills enabling them to fix their own bikes and this is a confidence booster
- Good travel habits learned young will last a lifetime;
- Cyclists breathe in less pollution from traffic than car drivers.